This morning at around 9AM I was in the operating room having the Lasik procedure completed.

It’s about twelve hours later as I’m writing this.

  • The procedure was basically totally painless.
  • The recovery is far from painless.
  • When I had my follow up exam in the afternoon I was already seeing almost 20/20 or 20/15, though my eyes were really burning and it was extremely hard to focus. Individually, my eyes were almost able to see 20/25.
  • I now officially need reading glasses; there is no more faking it by holding things right up to my face.

The process of cutting the flap involved dealing with just a small amount of pressure on my eye. I didn’t feel anything at all when the laser was reshaping my eye. Lana took a video of the laser procedure on one of my eyes. I’ll watch it tomorrow.

After the procedure I had to go home and keep my eyes closed for about five hours. All was great until the numbing drops finally wore off. Then I had to deal with a period of time that was quite challenging. I have no idea when it started and when it ended because I wasn’t supposed to open my eyes. My eyes were burning, itching and tearing. I couldn’t rub them or squeeze them closed, nor could I blink because I couldn’t open them either. I did my best to take deep breaths. I also did a lot of clenching my fists, clenching my jaws, squeezing other parts of my body, massaging parts of my body, grabbing the bed frame, and squirming around in the bed.

Fortunately that extreme pain ended before it was time for me to head out for my follow up visit. My eyes were extremely sensitive to the sunlight.

My eyes are still quite uncomfortable, though not unbearably painful. I am already willing to say that I’m glad that I made this choice.

Now I’m going to put the antibiotic and some wetting drops in my eyes and go to bed.

I give thanks to the Universe for the abundance it provides me. I surrender and am open and ready to receive.

Bhavatu sabba mangalam - May all beings be happy